Good quality carpets can last up to ten years under average use but most carpets need a good carpet re-stretching and tucking at some point within that period. However, carpeting may show wear problems as the years go by. Stretching may cause areas of the carpet to loosen, leaving unsightly bumps, ridges or ripples. These problems do not require complete replacement of the carpeting. Carpet re-stretching and carpet tucking can be done by an experienced carpet repair company, such as L&P Flooring.
Looseness of your wall-to-wall carpeting may appear as ridges along the entire length of the room, a series of ripples in certain areas of the room or a large bunch of carpet fabric near heavy furniture. These problems may appear in only one area of the room or may be more widespread.
Carpet rippling or bunching can occur due to a number of problems:
- Improper installation – An incorrect match between the padding and carpeting components may have occurred at installation
- The carpeting may have manufacturing flaws that make it vulnerable to looseness and rippling
- Moving heavy furniture frequently can lead to carpet bunching in the area
- Over-wetting during the carpet cleaning process can cause loosening the glue that holds layers together
- Heavy traffic may cause pulling away from walls or doorways